Saturday, March 3, 2018

Wrapping Paper Rack

I have imagined for a long time that the ideal solution of where to put an accumulation of wrapping paper is to design a system where I can see it better than carting it around in what is essentially a tall bucket. How to hang several rolls of wrapping paper where it would be accessible but not in the way? Today I finally built my "behind the craft room door wrapping paper rack"!

You will need 3 boards, 1"x4"x8' and enough dowels to cover the distance at a spacing of 2 1/4".

I built my rack to be 32" wide and 69" tall (to fit under a shelf I had already installed).  So I used 29 dowels, each 7/16" diameter and cut to about 31 1/2" long.  You will need them slightly longer than the open space between the "sides" of your box, or frame so that you can shove it into the hole closest to the corner of the room and swing it out to receive the roll of wrapping paper, but then be able to hang without falling.  My first attempt was too long but I used it to mark where the cut would have to be to just swing clear but then be able to hang in both holes by scooting it into the hole furthest from the corner of the room.

Instead of using cup hooks to hold the dowels, I just drilled holes 1/2" diameter with a drill press so they would be perpendicular to the face of the wood frame and line up with each other.  Stack the two sides, mark the hole locations on the top piece and drill through both pieces at the same time. Use double stick tape and clamps to keep them from shifting
The dowels cost about $1.00 each and the boards cost about $8.00 each.  The corner brackets were about $2.00 each.
I had intended to attach the rack to the wall with at least two brackets but it fits in my spot so tightly that I am confident that it won't fall over.  I recommend brackets unless it is wedged into place like mine is.

After drilling the holes I painted the frame pieces white to match the trim of our house.



I didn't bother painting the dowels as they would be mostly covered up by wrapping paper.

This is a great way to keep track of cellophane and kraft paper too.  I had space for some rolls of wallpaper left over from decades ago—hopefully it will work for a dollhouse.

Make sure to measure your rolls, most of mine are 30" wide so my frame is slightly bigger than that inside.

A side view to show how the dowels just slip into the holes, no cup hooks means less expense.


No comments:

Post a Comment